Downtown New Jersey League of Municipalities Session, Nov. 15, 2016:
How To Make Your Downtown a Success
- Date and time: Tuesday, Nov. 15, 3:45 – 5:15 pm
- Location: Room 318, Atlantic City Convention Center
Every downtown has its own character and issues. Recognizing your obstacles and your opportunities – not copying another municipality –is the key to success. Learn how to embrace your town’s identity; understand your trade area; understand the ever-changing world of retail; how to attract unique downtown retailers; and the value of independently owned businesses and how to support them.
Among the questions this session will address:
- How do we know what retail will be successful in our communities?
- How do developers evaluate a downtown to ensure project success? Are financial or other incentives necessary incentives to make the project financially feasible?
- What are examples of proactive downtown recruitment techniques?
- How has the downtown rental market changed or recovered since the 2007-8 recession?
- How can new temporary/semi-permanent uses (for example: pop-up uses, parklets, “take back the streets” bicycle- and pedestrian-only days, etc.) offer added value to owners and other tenants?
Hear from the following expert panelists:
- Hon. Pasquale Menna Esq., Mayor, Borough of Red Bank (Moderator)
- Joe Getz, President, Community InsightsSM, JGSC Group LLC
- James Hughes, Keller Williams Realty – New Jersey Metro Group
- Stephen Santola Esq., General Counsel, Woodmont Properties
- Bob Zuckerman, South Orange Village Center Alliance
New Jersey Future Redevelopment Forum Session, March 11, 2016:
- Date and time: Friday, March 11, 10:45 am – 12:15 pm
- Location: Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
Downtowns today do not function as they did 100 years ago — people live, work and play differently and downtowns need to adapt in order to compete. This panel of experts will share their techniques and strategies for strengthening downtown activity through branding; improving retail mix including entertainment, restaurants, services, and traditional soft goods; and identifying a trade area and demographic strengths. Effective marketing techniques, including social media and special events, will be addressed, and most importantly, the panelists will share their insights on how to get all decision makers on the same page and how to manage expectations.
- Hon. Victor De Luca, Mayor, Township of Maplewood (Moderator)
- Nancy Adams, President, Directions Downtown LLC
- Sherry Cronin, Executive Director, Downtown Westfield Corporation
- Megan Jones-Holt, Executive Director, Flemington Business Improvement District
- Pam Stefanek, Executive Director, New Brunswick City Market