The Value of Downtown:
Capitalizing on Your Assets to Realize Success
- Date and time: Friday, Oct. 18, 2019, 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
- Location: Westminster Arts Center, Bloomfield College, 449 Franklin Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003
- Looking for advertising and exhibiting opportunities at the DNJ Conference, then consider becoming a sponsor. Every sponsorship level comes with at least two (2) registrations, so be sure to check out conference sponsorship opportunities before you register. More information about sponsorship.
- Membership has its privileges! Members receive discounted registration and sponsorship. Join today…
- Early Bird Rate – Register by Sept. 20, 2019: $75 (members), $100 (non-members)
- Register after Sept. 20, 2019: $100 (members), $125 (non-members)
- Optional food tour tickets offered at a discount rate of $15 to conference attendees (regular rate $30). Space is limited, reserve your ticket today!
- 9:00 am – Registration and networking/light breakfast
- 9:45 am – Welcome
Robert Goldsmith Esq., President, Downtown New Jersey
Michael J. Venezia, Mayor, Bloomfield Township (invited)
- 10:00 am – Keynote
David D. Dixon, FAIA
Planning and Urban Design Leader, Stantec’s Urban Places
David Dixon and his team at Stantec’s Urban Places have recently completed working with IDA to prepare The Value of U.S. Downtowns and Center Cities: Second Edition report. The report includes analysis extending well beyond economic and fiscal benefits to measure downtown’s value in promoting equity and inclusion; diverse economic opportunity; cultural, economic and entrepreneurial innovation; civic engagement; community across increasingly rigid lines of economic, racial and cultural diversity; environmental responsibility and resilience; and related issues. The findings are supported through analysis of real data from 24 downtowns with urban place management organizations across the United States. David will provide an overview of the report findings as a lead into our first panel discussion where we will apply a NJ lens to the downtown value proposition.
- 10:30 am – Panel I
The Value of Downtown: IDA’s The Value of U.S. Downtowns and Center Cities: Second Edition report focuses on understanding the value of downtowns through five principles – economy, inclusion, vibrancy, identity and resilience. Using the report as a basis for discussion, the panelists will share success stories about initiatives that have added to the value of NJ downtowns from the broader perspective of these five principles.
- 11:45 pm – Lunch
Downtown Excellence Awards Presentation: Each year Downtown New Jersey recognizes New Jersey’s best downtown projects and programs completed within the last two years. Winning submissions are considered models worthy of emulation and are promoted on Downtown New Jersey’s website and are recognized at the DNJ Conference. Accepting nominations through July 26, 2019.
- 1:15 pm – Panel 2:
Growing + Retaining Business in Your Downtown: Some downtown districts are bustling with a low retail vacancy rates, while others have problematic gaps in their retail market. No matter the situation, improvement district leaders need to be connecting with business and property owners to keep their downtowns bustling. Whether it’s providing critical services and support to existing businesses or strategically attracting new ones, improvement district managers and board members are critical to sustaining and promoting their downtown as a destination for residents and visitors alike. This panel will teach downtown district leaders strategies to attract retailers and keep those already in your districts thriving.
- 2:45 pm – Food Tour of Bloomfield (additional ticketed event with discount to conference attendees)
Come see what everyone is talking about on a Food Tour organized by the Bloomfield Center Alliance and EMI Strategy. The tour will make stops at 3-4 Bloomfield dining venues where we’ll sample fantastic food, meet the chefs, learn some local Bloomfield history, and find out what’s next from Bloomfield Center Alliance staff. The ticket price is discounted to $15 for conference attendees. So join us on a fun, food-filled guided tour of Bloomfield Center where many of the town’s culinary gems are located.
Read about Bloomfield’s food scene in the Star Ledger, and catch Bloomfield’s feature as one of the 15 Best Under the Radar Dining Destinations in New Jersey.
- 4:15 pm – Networking Reception (Included in conference registration – location TBD)
OR, every sponsorship level comes with at least two (2) registrations, so be sure to check out conference sponsorship opportunities before you register.
More information about sponsorship.