Adapting to Change: The Next Generation of NJ Downtowns
This event has already occurred: 2018 Conference Recap & Pictures.
- Date and time: Friday, Nov. 2, 2018, 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
- Location: Skyline Room, NJCU School of Business, 147 Harborside Financial Center Platform, Jersey City, NJ
- Getting there (Printable Map & Directions):
- Take PATH to Exchange Place
- Take Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to Harborside
- Park at Plaza 4A (18 Columbus Drive, Jersey City NJ) – ask at registration, and we will give you a voucher for $4 off the daily rate
- Looking for advertising and exhibiting opportunities at the DNJ Conference, then consider becoming a sponsor. Every sponsorship level comes with at least two (2) all-inclusive registrations, so be sure to check out conference sponsorship opportunities before you register. More information about sponsorship.
- Register by Oct. 12, 2018: $75 (members), $100 (non-members)
- Register after Oct. 12, 2018: $100 (members), $125 (non-members)
- Membership has its privileges! Members receive discounted registration and sponsorship. Join today…
- 9:00 am – Registration and networking/light breakfast
- 10:00 am – Welcome
Robert Goldsmith Esq., President, Downtown New Jersey
- 10:10 am – Keynote
Mayor Steven Fulop, City of Jersey City
- 10:30 am – Panel I
The State of the State: NJ Improvement Districts in 2018: Two studies were recently completed looking at New Jersey’s Improvement Districts (ID). Summarizing information collected as part the Bloustein School of Policy and Planning BID Study and the State of New Jersey ID Census, panelists will relay the latest trends in ID budgeting, governance, scale, and programming. Managers from small and large IDs will join the discussion to provide commentary on how these trends impact day to day operations and decision making.
Stuart Koperweis, Economic Development Strategies (Moderator)
David Listokin, Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy
Jef Buehler, LPS/NJDCA
Rachel Seig, Historic Downtown SID (Jersey City)
Kathleen Miller Prunty, KMP Resources
- 11:45 pm: Lunch
Downtown Excellence Awards Presentation
- 1:15 pm: Panel II
The Impact of Changing Demographics on Downtown: Barely a day goes by without an article about where Millennials (and sometimes Boomers) want to live, work, and play. As the two largest age cohorts, their desires are driving the retail and housing market, as well as the location choices of major employers. At the same time, technological advances are amplifying these demand shifts. So, what does this mean for NJ’s downtowns? This panel will discuss the implications of demographic trends and new technology, and how downtowns can proactively plan for a distinctly different development pattern than seen in the latter half the 20th century.
Kevin Riordan, Rutgers Center for Real Estate (Moderator)
Christopher J. Otteau, MAI, Otteau Group & Adjunct Professor at Monmouth University
Deb Tantleff, TANTUM Real Estate
Tyler Bennett, Bennett Realty & Development
Jeremy Neuer, CBRE
- 2:45 pm: Walking tour
Learn what’s going on in Historic Downtown Jersey City
- 4:00 pm: Networking Reception (Flyer w/Map & Directions)
Join us for more networking and refreshments at White Eagle Hall.