Navigating Change in Your Downtown
Managed districts, including Business or Special Improvement Districts (BID or SID) can help your downtown navigate changes in market demand brought on by shifts in demographics and consumer preferences. Whether you are looking to strengthen your existing BID or SID, or start a new one, this session guided participants through the key characteristics of a high functioning organization. We began with an overview of BID governance, oversight, transparency, and collaboration and partnerships with DCA and municipalities. Panelists then discussed and provided examples of successful marketing, business attraction, and programming initiatives, which are the main functions of a BID or a SID.
- Carmelo Garcia, Deputy Mayor, City of Newark (Moderator)
- Chris Bernardo, President/CEO, Commercial District Services
- Beth Lippman, Executive Director, Livingston Business Improvement District
- Ira Kerner, First Vice President, CBRE
- Anthony Torre, Co-founder and Chief Marketing Officer, Spitball
This panel was coordinated by Downtown New Jersey as part of the in-person 2018 NJLM Annual Conference, so there is no video of session.